Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Yankee Pralines


In keeping with the Mardi Gras theme, and because I'm feeling like I need to do some of the heavy lifting around here, I am sharing with you my super-secret recipe for spiced pecans, aka Yankee Pralines. Which ain't a prawlin atall.

I give these at Christmas. My Father-in-Law would rather find them under the tree than a Lowe's gift card. Hell, sometimes he even kicks in the pecans - he just wants me to 'fix' them.
1 egg white
1 tsp.-ish water
5 cups pecans (Peh-kahns..."peh" rhymes with "feh")
1.5 cups sugar
~1 tbsp. cinnamon
~ 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
~ 1 tsp. kosher salt

Combine the egg white with water and whisk it until good and foamy (add more water if the egg white is sticky and won't loosen up). Toss in peh-kahs.

I swear to you this won't work if you call them pee-kins. WTF is a pee-kin? That's what you do to your man when he's in the shower, right?

Okay, so you have your pecans all coated.

In a small bowl combine the sugar and spices and then mix into pecans. Adjust seasoning accordingly. I like salty with sweet so I add more Morton's, I pump up the cayenne for my Father-in-Law.

Dump onto an oiled cookie sheet and press into a single layer. Put into a 200 degree oven for about an hour.
THIS IS IMPORTANT - Stir the pecans every 15 minutes.
DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or you will have Yankee Praline Brittle which is synonymous with Inedible Crap.

Enjoy.


Holy crap on a cracker... The teevee just said Hillary's won New Hampshire. Whoda thunk it?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I always lose my spiced pecan recipes. Hah! Now I can't. I miss the free pecans from the two pecan trees at my parents' old house. But I don't miss the sap those trees dropped on the car.

And I tried making real pralines here in Colorado. Oh, that so didn't work. Too dry. I miss humidity.

City Girl said...

My immediate reaction to the last comment is:

Hello, Miss Humidity, I'm Ms. Barometric Pressure.

Welcome back to the 7th grade!

Megan said...

We made these yesterday and they are wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.