Friday, January 11, 2008

Mikey hates everything...


...but the people in this house will eat ANYTHING.


I have this for breakfast say, four mornings a week. Keeping in mind I don't have to go to a job, I eat mid-morning. And I snack a time or two but my next meal is supper because THIS makes me happy. It also works for ANYTIME...late supper, rushed supper, weekend lunch.


Garlic, Red Pepper and Sundried Tomato Pasta


Put water on to boil for the pasta...your favorite type is what's called for here...I use linguine. In an omelet pan, or such, pour 1/4 cup olive oil. When it heats up, add one heaping tablespoon garlic and one heaping tablespoon chopped sundried tomatoes. (I'm currently using sundried tomato tapenade and LOVING it.) Sprinkle in red pepper flakes...your taste determines how much. Cook over medium heat until the garlic is lightly browned.


This brings us to a point a friend of mine made last week. We were talking about something...a chef or cooking school or whatever and she explained that whomever we were talking about had stressed that you only cook garlic until it is fragrant...never more. Well, that raven don't fly here. In some dishes, just fragrant is good. But in THIS case, I LIKE my garlic browned. I like the bitter edge.


SO. Cook the pasta while the garlic browns. When the pasta is done, turn the tomato-garlic oil up to high, dump the pasta into a strainer and let most of the water run out. Then turn around and, with the water still dripping, dump the pasta into the oil. Turn off the stove-eye and fold the pasta to mix it with the oil and goodies and cook off the last of the cooking water. Portion it into your dish and top with blue cheese sprinkles.


This justifies a glass of red wine with breakfast.

No comments: