Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sour Cream Pound Cake and no, that's not Jaba the Hut

Eight years ago we moved into this house, the "emergency" house, for one year. I was 44 years old and seven months pregnant and things weren't going well.

I'm still sitting here. The thought of moving makes me physically ill. But one of the reasons this isn't the worst place in the world to live is a few of the neighbors...namely, the one who brought me this cake when I moved in. It is the best pound cake I have ever tasted and I don't even eat cake. It's easy, doesn't need refrigeration and is better the day after you make it. Just put it in a carrier and hide it for one day and honey...you're the star.

Houston Town Road Pound Cake
1 box Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
4 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 ounces cream cheese
8 ounces sour cream
Spray tube pan with Pam; dust with flour. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix sugar, water and eggs, add cake mix; scraping sides of bowl. Add oil, sour cream and softened cream cheese. Beat on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, scraping down sides. Pour into prepared cake pan and bake on middle rack of oven for 54-56 minutes. Turn out immediately onto a cooling rack. Do not refrigerate; but keep covered in a cake server for best taste.

THEN. Several years ago my mother-in-law gave me a cake pan with matching carrier. I took one look at that cake pan and thought, "That ain't gonna happen." Have you ever SEEN so many nooks and crannies? For stuff to stick to? Finally used it this weekend and honey, that cake popped right out of there and was beautiful. Just lovely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I visit your site now and then and I'm always amaxzed at how delicious and easily cook-able your recipes seem to be. Visiting your site always makes me hungry ;-) I'm going to bake this cake, it sounds wonderful. Thanks